Apple Chia Seed Chocolate Chip Pancakes
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract OR maple syrup
• 1 large egg
• 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced thin
• 3 tablespoons chia seeds
• 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
• Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Chia seeds in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
• Pour milk, olive oil, maple syrup and egg in a small mixing bowl and whisk together with a fork. Set aside.
• Peel, core and slice apple, fill a half cup with mini chocolate chips. Set aside.
• Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk together until smooth (A couple of lumps is okay).
• Whisk in the chocolate chips and apple slices.
(The batter can be thinned if desired by whisking in 1 Tablespoon of milk at a time.)
• Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little olive oil to lightly grease pan. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape with the back of your ladle or measuring cup.
• When the underside is golden brown and
bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cook until the same look is acheived on the opposite side. When the pan dries out I like to add another teaspoon or so of olive oil.
• When they are done stack on a plate and continue until the batter is gone.
• Topping ideas: butter, apple butter, honey, maple syrup, fruit, whipped marscapone cheese or enjoy plain!